Cherry Blossom loves Boom Shankar, a quality and ethical brand from Queenslands sunny Sunshine Coast. It operates with a strong social conscience having supported many Australian charities and schools as well as projects in India. Early on, this work took a scattergun approach, providing support as Dui became aware of particular areas of need. Some of Boom Shankar’s early efforts in India have included support for:
- The building of a Girls’ College in Nahraina village in Rajasthan
- The introduction of a water purifying system for two schools in Hasanpura, the oldest slum area in Jaipur. The schools, operated by Indian agency, Draydan Social Welfare, and Belgian charity, Opus III, provide a stepping stone for impoverished children to enter state-run schooling. To find out more, visit opusiii.be, and consider donating or sponsoring the education costs for a local child.
- The planting of trees around the factory and surrounding streets in Pushkar where Boom Shankar’s clothes are made. This work has included working closely with local government bodies.
- The building of three wells in the neighbouring potting village of Jethana in Rajasthan after Dui became aware that locals were having to walk 6km a day for their water supply as the result of a long draught.
- The development of cottage industries in a remote village of refugees from Pakistan. Boom Shankar paid women to undertake hand stitching on Boom Shankar garments, which at that point was the village’s only source of income.
- The work of Tree of Life For Animals providing animal birth control, rabies vaccinations, rescue of street animals, veterinary care, and good animal husbandry education in rural and remote areas in India. To find out more or donate or sponsor an animal, visit tolfa.org.uk.
Recently, we have begun working with community development experts to ensure our efforts are as strategic as possible, drawing on a solid evidence base and strong grassroots support. We will be announcing our 2018 Community Support Strategy shortly, but in the meantime we have already started work on one of our focus areas – child labour and child trafficking. Read on below to learn about the work of great Australian charity, Forget Me Not.
Boom Shankar is a passionate supporter of Australian charity Forget Me Not which works through local organisations in India, Nepal and Uganda. Forget Me Not works to reunite trafficked children with their families and provides support to help families become self-reliant as a means to keep families together.
All proceeds from our unique patchwork bags are also donated to Forget Me Not, and Boom Shankar donates $5 from the sale of every Choose Joy T-shirt to this amazing cause. You can find out more about the amazing work of Forget Me Not at www.forgetmenot.org.au . Consider adding your support!
Sorry, there are no products matching your search